The Peter Witt streetcar was designed by the Cleveland Street Railway in the U.S. The Toronto Transit Commission version was built under license by Canada Car and Foundry of Montreal. A small number were also built by the Ottawa Car Company and the Preston Car Company. Between 1921 and 1923, 575 of these streetcars were ordered by the TTC for use on Toronto streets.
The Peter Witts ran on the busiest streetcar routes, , and were heavily used until they were replaced by the Yonge and University subway lines. Those still in use were officially retired in 1965.
Although most of the cars were scrapped, one was retained for historic purposes, and in 2001 the Toronto Transit Commission budgeted $100,000 to have it restored to its original condition.
TTC Peter Witt Specifications
- Car Manufacturer: Canada Car and Foundry, Ottawa Car Company, Preston Car Company
- Years of Manufacture: 1921-1923
- Fleet No. (Large Witt): 2300-2498, 2500–2578, 2500–2578
- Fleet No. (Small Witt): 2700-2798, 2800–2898, 2900-3018
- Fleet No. (Brill Witt): 2580-2678
- Fleet No. (Trailer Witt): 2301-2419, 2701-3029
- Fleet Size: 575 cars were ordered in all (350 motors, 225 trailers)
- Weight: 71,150 lb
- Seating: 58 (Large Witt), 51 (Small Witt), 60 (trailer) - 140 (max)
- Motor (Motor car only): 4 x 50 hp (rating)
- Track Gauge: 4 ft 10 7/8 in