Bothwell completed his BA at the University of Toronto and his PhD at Harvard University. He is currently Director of the University of Toronto's International Relations program at Trinity College, where he is a fellow, and a professor of Canadian political and diplomatic history. Bothwell holds the May Gluskin Chair in Canadian History. His research interests include modern Canadian history and political, diplomatic and military history. Bothwell is an expert on Canada-U.S. relations.
- Bothwell, Robert (1978). Pearson, His Life and World. Toronto, New York City: McGraw-Hill Ryerson. ISBN 978-0-07-082305-1 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK]. OCLC 4464045.
- C.D. Howe: A Biography, by Robert Bothwell and William Kilbourn, Toronto, 1979, McClelland and Stewart, ISBN 0-7710-4535-2 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK].
- Eldorado: Canada's National Uranium Company 1984
- A Short History of Ontario 1986
- Years of Victory 1987
- Nucleus: A History of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Toronto, 1988, University of Toronto Press, ISBN 0-8020-2670-2 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK].
- Loring Christie 1988
- Laying the Foundations 1991
- Canada & the United States 1991
- Canada & Quebec 1995
- The Big Chill 1998
- The Penguin History of Canada 2006
- Alliance and Illusion: Canada and the World, 1945-1984 2007
- "University of Toronto profile". Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- "Won't 'sell out' on rights despite China snub: PM". CBC News. November 15, 2006. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- "Trinity Magazine". University of Trinity College. Spring 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.