|Parent company||Pearson PLC|
|Founded||1935 (as Penguin Books)|
|Headquarters location||City of Westminster
|Revenue||£ 1.05 billion (2010)|
The Penguin Group is a trade book publisher, part of Penguin Random House. The Penguin Group is owned by Pearson PLC, the global media company which also owns the Financial Times, and Bertelsmann, the German media group which owns Random House. The new company was created by a merger in October 2012 with Bertelsmann owning 53% of the joint venture, and Pearson controlling the remaining 47%.
Its British division is Penguin Books Ltd. Other separate divisions can be found in the United States, Ireland, New Zealand, India, Australia, Canada, China, and South Africa.
Penguin Group (USA) Inc. was formed in 1996 as a result of the merger between Penguin Books USA and the Putnam Berkley Group. The newly formed company was originally called Penguin Putnam Inc., but in 2003 changed its name to Penguin Group (USA) Inc. to reflect the parent Pearson PLC's grouping of all the Penguin companies worldwide under the supervisory umbrella of Pearson's own Penguin Group division.
The different Penguin companies use many imprints, many of which used to be independent publishers. Penguin Group (USA) Inc. also operates its own speaker's bureau that books speaking engagements for many of the publisher's authors.
In October 2012, Pearson entered into talks with rival conglomerate Bertelsmann, over the possibility of combining their respective publishing companies, Penguin Group and Random House. The houses are considered two of the "Big Six" publishing companies.
Penguin Group imprints include the following:
- Amazon breakthrough novel award
- Pearson Education
- Pearson PLC
- The Big Six publishing companies:
- Penguin Group (USA) Inc. v. American Buddha
- "about Penguin - company history, Penguin Books
- Mark Sweney "Penguin and Random House merger to create biggest book publisher ever seen", The Guardian, 29 October 2012
- "26. What is Penguin Books Limited's company registration number?" Penguin Books. Retrieved on 28 August 2009.
- "Maps." City of Westminster. Retrieved on 28 August 2009.
- "Penguin Group (USA): About Us".
- "Penguin: Publishers/Imprints".
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
fictionmatters.com(see the help page).
Cite error: Invalid