|Traded as||SEHK: 0282|
|Key people||Jimmy Lai, Chairman and Founder
Stephen Ting, Chief Executive Officer
Next Media Limited (Chinese: 壹傳媒有限公司 Pinyin: Yī Chuán Méi Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī), founded by serial entrepreneur Jimmy Lai, has more than 3,600 employees and is the largest-listed media company in Hong Kong.
Subdivisions include Next Media Interactive. The corporation is known for introducing tabloid-style journalism into Hong Kong and Taiwan that set trends in both markets. Apple Daily was the first newspaper to use the massive graphics, bold headlines and full colour pages now common to all best-selling papers in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Next Media publications are also known for highly academic articles which attract a wide range of readers, including critics. Next Media has often taken a clear and sometimes proactive support for democratic groups in Hong Kong. Some companies with ties to the government of China never advertise in any papers or magazines owned by Next Media.
The bold style of journalism seems to trigger constant troubles with the triads with incidents of criminal damages at the offices of Next Media. Apple Daily and its parent company Next Media are thought to be pioneer of paparazzi and yellow Journalism in Hong Kong. A recent notable incident happened last year when Gillian Chung, a member of singing group Twins (band), was shot changing clothes at the backstage by spy camera installed by a subsidy magazine of Next Media. The case triggered debated over paparazzi acts in Hong Kong and regulation of paparazzi was considered.
Hong Kong Publications
- Apple Daily - Published daily, one of Hong Kong's largest circulation newspapers.
- Next Magazine - Published on Wednesday evenings, one of Hong Kong's largest circulation news and entertainment magazines.
- Easy Finder - A teen focussed entertainment magazine.
- Sharp Daily - A free daily newspaper
Monday Book - A set of four magazines sold together for HK$12 on Monday mornings that are more thematically male and commerce focussed.
- Face - Gossip, entertainment and fashion
- Ketchup - Gadgets, gaming and mobile
- JobFinder - Jobs and recruitment magazine (sales assistant-level jobs)
- AutoExpress - Used cars, auto insurance, dating advertisements, car license plates for sale.
- Trading Express - Classified ads for products, small companies, second-hand watches.
Friday Book - A set of three magazines sold together for HK$12 on Friday mornings that are more thematically female and leisure focussed. Next Media has ceased to hold any shares of these three magazines in the end of 2008 and the editorial affair of these magazines has tied-up with TVB Weekly (the official magazine of Television Broadcasts Limited and owned by a joint venture between Malaysian media conglomerate company Astro All Asia Networks plc (Astro) and Albert Yeung's Emperor Group) in early 2009.
- Eat and Travel Weekly - Sold to Astro in November 2006.
- Sudden Weekly - Women-oriented entertainment magazine. Sold to Astro in November 2006.
- Me - A cosmetics and fashion magazine. Founded by Astro in December 2006.
Hong Kong Websites
The Atnext.com network is the #1 online Chinese new, information and current events portal from Hong Kong and reaches more than 2 million users per month, audited by Neilsen//Netratings.
- atnext.com - Homepage and entry point for the publications
- Apple Daily Online - Site for the daily newspaper
- Next Magazine - Site for the weekly news magazine
- Sudden Weekly - Site for the weekly entertainment magazine
- Face magazine - Site for the weekly teen and young adult magazine
- Eat and Travel - Site for the weekly leisure magazine
Vertical/community portals In addition to original exclusive content and social networking tools, these sites aggregate content from all other sites.
- Lady - Female focused portal with strong community
- Travel - Traveler site
- Education - education guide for students of all levels
- Motor - Car vertical covering auto reviews and more
- Life - lifestyle guide on everyday city living
- Racing - a subscription-based horse racing guide focused on HK and Macau races (HK$1,888 per year)
- Soccer - soccer fan’s guide to everything soccer
- Health - a vertical channel provide rich information on medical and health
- Apple Daily (Taiwan) - Published daily, one of Taiwan's largest circulation newspapers
- Sharp Daily - A free daily newspaper
- Next Magazine - Published on weekly, one of Taiwan's largest circulation news and entertainment magazines
- Me! (Taiwan version) - A weekly magazine
Structure of Next Media
The top management committee of the company is the Board. The Board is responsible for overseeing the successful of Next Media and devising the company’s future strategy. The Board delegates the running of Next Media’s day-to-day operations to carefully chosen Executive Directors and Senior Management. The Board looks to the Management to ensure it appraised of all significant developments that may affect the company and its operations.
There are four committees established by the Board, granted for different kinds of duties.
- Executive Directors: for the purpose of approving issues and allotment of shares
- Audit Committee: mainly to assist the Board in its oversight of the integrity of the Company’s financial statements; the Company’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements; the external auditor’s qualifications and independence; and the performance of the Company’s internal audit function and external auditors.
- Remuneration Committee; to review and develop policies in relation to the remuneration of directors and senior management of the Company; to make recommendations to the Board from time to time as may be necessary in relation to such policies.
- Ad hoc Sub-committee; made up of the financial heads of all major operation subsidiaries.
Apple Daily Limited
Apple Daily Online Limited
Apple Daily Printing Limited
Cameron Printing Company Limited
Database Gateway Limited
Easy Finder Limited
Easy Finder Hong Kong Marketing Limited
Easy Media Limited
Eat and Travel Weekly Company Limited
Next Magazine Advertising Limited
Next Magazine Publishing Limited
Next Media Group Management Limited
Next Media Hong Kong/Publication Publishing Limited
Paramount Printing Company Limited
Rainbow Graphic & Printing Company Limited
Sudden Weekly Limited