|"Magic Carpet Ride"|
|Single by Steppenwolf|
|from the album The Second|
|Genre||Hard rock, acid rock, psychedelic rock|
|Length||4:25 (album version)
2:55 (single version)
3:25 (Philip Steir remix)
|Writer(s)||Rushton Moreve, John Kay|
"Magic Carpet Ride" is a rock song written by John Kay and Rushton Moreve from the Canadian-American hard rock band Steppenwolf. The song was initially released in 1968 on the album The Second. It was the lead single from that album, peaking at No. 3 in the US, and becoming the band's second-biggest hit, surpassed only by "Born to Be Wild".
The single version differs noticeably from the album version with a different vocal take by Kay used for the first verse of the song and differing instrumental balances. The single version is also much shorter than the album version, with a running time of 2 minutes and 55 seconds (the album version is 4 minutes and 25 seconds long).
- The song appears on the soundtrack of Christian Marquand's film Candy.
- In the 1996 film Star Trek: First Contact, Zefram Cochrane plays the song as he launches Earth's first warp drive craft, the Phoenix, from a missile silo in the year 2063.
- The song was briefly heard in the film Apollo 13, as well as The Dish.
- The song was covered by band Hanson in their live performance at the Fillmore in 2000.
- This song was in NASCAR Thunder 2003 and also the intro theme.
- A remix of the song done by Philip Steir was used in Triple Play 2001 as both the intro theme and an insert song within the game.
- The song was featured in a 1999 commercial for the Dodge Viper.
- The song was featured in the TV movie Amy & Isabelle in the scene where Amy's friend's boyfriend picked her up in his truck and began playing the song.
- The song is featured in the episode "Mario's Magic Carpet" from the series The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
- The song was featured in the film Team America: World Police in the scene when the agents are de-briefing at a cocktail party.
- The song was featured in the film Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me in the scene when Austin went back in time to the 1960s.
- The song was featured in the film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back in the scene when Jay and Silent Bob are picked up by the Mystery Machine.
- Bedlam's version of the song was featured in the film Reservoir Dogs.
- The song was featured in the 1999 film Go starring Sarah Polley and Katie Holmes during the car chase scene in Las Vegas.
- The song was featured in the 2004 Disney film Home on the Range.
- The song was featured in the 2005 film Sahara.
- The song was featured in the 2011 film Friends with Benefits
- Comedian singer Sean Morey parodied the song as "Magic Minivan".
- The song was featured in the trailer for the 1998 film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- The song was covered by singer Myra in Spanish and English for the 1999 Disney Latin album La Vida Mickey.
- The song appears in the 25th episode of the second season of TV series The King of Queens.