Poettering in December 2012
|Known for||Avahi, PulseAudio, systemd|
Lennart Poettering is a German computer programmer. He is best known for his work on free and open source software including PulseAudio, a sound server, the systemd replacement for the System V init daemon, and Avahi, an implementation of the zeroconf protocol for network device discovery.
Life and career
Poettering was born in Guatemala City but grew up in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and Hamburg, Germany. Poettering currently works for Red Hat. Poettering is a long term contributor of the GNOME project, a GNOME Foundation member  and a regular speaker at the GUADEC conference.
Since 2003, Poettering has worked in more than 40 software projects, mainly written in C and related to solution stacks in areas like multimedia, networking, telephony and system startup on Linux. He is best known for his work on free and open source software including PulseAudio, a sound server, the systemd replacement for the System V init daemon, and Avahi, an implementation of the zeroconf protocol for network device discovery. Poettering has advocated speeding up Linux development at the expense of breaking compatibility with BSD. "I don't think BSD is really too relevant anymore", he replied in an interview.
Lennart Poettering is a hobbyist photographer with a special interest in travel pictures, usually taken during extended trips near the conferences where he is invited. He has created a collection of more than a hundred stitched panoramas.
- "LPC: Linux audio: it's a mess". Lwn.net. Archived from the original on 2009-10-18. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- Michael Larabel (2010-08-23). "An Update On The SystemD System & Session Manager". Phoronix. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- "Using Avahi The 'Right Way'", linux.conf.au 2007
- linux.conf.au profile
- 2011 FOSDEM interview
- "glib main loop".
- "GNOME 3.0 Is Out!".
- "GNOME Foundation Members". Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- http://0pointer.de/lennart/, retrieved 2013-01-26 Missing or empty
- "Un entretien avec Lennart Poettering)". Retrieved 2013-01-26.