It was created based on the rural sanitary district and consisted of the civil parishes of Astley, Culcheth, Kenyon and Lowton. The district was abolished in 1933 under a County Review Order. The parishes of Kenyon, Lowton and part of Culcheth went to the Golborne urban district, Astley was added to Tyldesley Urban District, and the remainder of Culcheth parish became part of the parish of Croft in Warrington Rural District.
- "Leigh RD through time. Administrative history of Local Government District: hierarchies, boundaries". A vision of Britain through time.