Kenyon was recorded as Kenien in 1212. Kenian in 1258 and Kenyan in 1259. It was sparsely populated, in 1901 the population was 329.
Kenyon was a township within the historic borders of Lancashire in Winwick ecclesiastical parish and part of Lowton until the reign of Henry III. It became part of Leigh Poor Law Union. In 1933 the civil parish became part of Golborne Urban District. Golborne Urban District was dissolved in 1974 and its area divided, the Culcheth and Newchurch wards (south of the old Kenyon Junction station and Kenyon Hall) became part of Warrington District in Cheshire, the rest became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester.
Kenyon covers an area of 1,685 acres (6.82 km2). It is about 2½ miles from Newton in Makerfield (Newton le Willows), 13 miles (21 km) west of Manchester and 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Leigh. The underlying rock is sandstone with clay soil. The road between Culcheth and Lowton crossed the village. To the west of the village the Liverpool and Manchester Railway had a junction with the Tyldesley Loopline where Kenyon Junction station was built. The Great Central Railway's Manchester to Wigan line crossed the township. Kenyon was a centre for brickmaking.
- William Farrer and J Brownbill (editors) (1911), "Kenyon", A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4, Victoria County History (British History Online): 154–155, retrieved 9 July 2010
- Greater Manchester Gazetteer, Greater Manchester County Record Office, archived from the original on 18 July 2011, retrieved 3 June 2010
- Kenyon Junction Station, Subterranea Britannica, retrieved 11 July 2010