According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, El Bosque spans an area of 14.1 km2 (5 sq mi) and has 175,594 inhabitants (86,435 men and 89,159 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population grew by 1.6% (2,740 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Other statistics
- Regional quality of life index: 73.65, medium, 28 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.711, 106 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, El Bosque is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Sadi Melo Moya.
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, El Bosque is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Mr. Tucapel Jiménez (PPD) and Mr. Iván Moreira (UDI) as part of the 27th electoral district, (together with La Cisterna and San Ramón). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear Valenzuela (PDC) and Pablo Longueira Montes (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
The El Bosque airport serves El Bosque commune.
- (Spanish) "Municipality of El Bosque". Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- (Spanish) "National Statistics Institute". Retrieved 8 September 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- (Spanish) "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)". Government of Chile, Mideplán. UNDP. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- (Spanish) Municipality of El Bosque