|The Honorable David R. Stras|
Minnesota Supreme Court
July 1, 2010
|Appointed by||Tim Pawlenty|
|Preceded by||Lorie Skjerven Gildea|
|Born||July 4, 1974 (age 37)
|Alma mater||University of Kansas
University of Kansas Law School
David Ryan Stras (born 1974) is an associate justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court appointed by Governor Tim Pawlenty. Stras's term began on July 1, 2010, and he was sworn in on July 12, 2010. Stras was a professor of law at the University of Minnesota Law School from 2004 to 2010, teaching and writing in the areas of federal courts and jurisdiction, constitutional law, criminal law, and law and politics. He also served as co-director of the Institute for Law and Politics.
Stras has contributed to research on such topics as judicial pensions and life tenure for judges. He has also studied judicial appointments and the politics of courts. Prior to his appointment, he was a frequent guest on legal topics at Minnesota Public Radio.
Stras received a B.A. with highest honors and an M.B.A. from the University of Kansas. In 1999 he earned a J.D. from the University of Kansas School of Law, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Criminal Procedure Edition of the Kansas Law Review. He clerked on two federal courts of appeal, for Judges Melvin Brunetti on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and J. Michael Luttig on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Judge Profile: Associate Justice David R. Stras, Minnesota Supreme Court website, http://www.mncourts.gov/?page=JudgeBio_v2&menu=appellate&ID=30536
- Judge Profile
- Miller, Alan. 9-9-2011 Justice David Stras, Minnesota Supreme Court, Access to Democracy, September 9, 2011.
- Tribute, Distinguished Scholar, Dedicated Teacher, and now Justice: David R. Stras
- Published Articles on Various Legal Topics.
- Associate Justice David R. Stras Profile - Minnesota Supreme Court
- 2012 Campaign Website
Lorie Skjerven Gildea
|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court