Charles Lee Feinberg (June 12, 1909 - August 22, 1995) was an American biblical scholar and professor of Semitics and Old Testament. He was an authority on the Jewish history, languages and customs of the Old Testament and biblical prophecies.
Background and education
Feinberg was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and raised in an Orthodox Jewish, graduating from the Hebrew Institute of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburg in preparation to be a rabbi. In 1930, he converted from Judaism to Christianity through the ministry of Chosen People Ministries. He went on to earn his Th.M. (1934) and Th.D. (1935) from Dallas Theological Seminary, his A.M. (1943) from Southern Methodist University and his Ph.D. (1945) in Archaeology and Semitic languages from Johns Hopkins University. Feinberg married Anne Priscilla Fraiman in 1935, and together they had three children (Paul, Lois and John).
Feinberg joined the faculty of Dallas Theological Seminary as professor of Old Testament in 1934 and began radio broadcasting messages the following year. During that time, he also served as pastor of a church from 1936 to 1940. In 1948, Feinberg joined the faculty of what would later become Talbot Theological Seminary, and in 1952 became its first and longest-serving dean. He also served as pastor at two Los Angeles churches until 1955. In 1958, he oversaw an update to The Fundamentals, a defense of the central teachings of Christianity, and later was on the team that originally translated the New American Standard Bible.
- The Prophecy of Ezekiel: The Glory of the Lord (1969, 2003) ISBN 1-59244-270-6 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK]
- God Remembers: A Study of Zechariah (1977, 2003) ISBN 1-59244-272-2 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK]
- Millennialism - The Two Major Views (1980, 1985) ISBN 0-88469-166-7 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK]
- "Memorials - Charles Lee Feinberg". JETS 39 (1): 169–174. March 1996.
- "Trained and Ready to Bring the Gospel to Jewish People". The Chosen People XIII (7). September 2007.
- "Small Collection 109 - Sermon Transcripts of Charles Lee Feinberg". Billy Graham Center Archives. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "Talbot School of Theology: History & Heritage". Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Torrey, Reuben Archer; Charles Lee Feinberg, Warren W. Wiersbe (1958, 1990). The Fundamentals: the famous sourcebook of foundational biblical truths. Kregel Publications. ISBN 0-8254-2633-2 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK].
- "New American Standard Bible - Translators of the NASB". Retrieved 2009-11-02.