Originally common pasture land within the town of Walton on the Hill, the area had the name of Hanging-fields or Hangfield - the name originating from the deeply sloping (or 'hanging') nature of the terrain. The name was also frequently written as Hongfield or Honghfield. In Gore's paper of 26 July 1810, certain fields are advertised as "Fields in Walton-on-the-Hill, called Hanging-fields"/
In 1836, Walton lost its independence and was made part of Liverpool Borough Council. The Ordnance Survey map of 1840 shows a house here called Anfield House, around which the district developed.
Most of the houses in Anfield are terraced houses from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This type of property is particularly dense around Anfield stadium, although in 1991 the properties in Kemlyn Road were demolished to make way for a new stand at Anfield stadium.
Walton was an ancient seat of Christianity in Northwest England, and in line with other Victoria era developments, Anfield gained a number of churches, including:
- Church of England:
- St Columba, Pinehurst Road
- St Margaret, Belmont Road
- St Simon and St Jude, Anfield Road
- Roman Catholic:
- All Saints, Oakfield Park
- Wesleyan Methodist:
- Oakfield Road
Demolition of the now defunct Anfield Community Comprehensive School on Priory Road commenced towards the end of 2010 and have been completed in early 2011. Liverpool City Council is currently exploring options for the redevelopment of the site in conjunction with local stakeholders. A proposed mosque and Muslim centre are also being considered to eventually take place on the former site.
The area also contains Stanley Park, one of Liverpool's grand Victorian parks, covering 110 acres of Anfield and is the primary separator between Anfield Stadium and Goodison Park in Walton. Liverpool F.C. have speculated for a long time about building a new stadium in Stanley Park.
Notable residents 
See also 
The elected councillors for Anfield are Cllrs Jimmy Kendrick Liberal Democrats and two Labour councillors; Brian Dowling and Ian Francis.
- The District Placenames of Liverpool, Henry Harrison, 1898