He was born into an intellectual family in Sulaimaniya in Iraqi Kurdistan. He possessed a deep knowledge of classical Kurdish, Arabic and Persian poetry and has had an enduring influence on the modern Kurdish poetry. He was also involved in the Kurdish liberation movement and after the Algiers Accord, he moved to Iran in 1975 and later to U.K. in 1993. His daughter Choman Hardi is a well known Kurdish writer and his son Asos Hardi is a prominent journalist in Iraqi Kurdistan and founder of Hawlati and Awena independent newspapers. His first collection of poems was first published in 1957 and has been re-published several times since then.
- The Secret of Solitude, 1957
- The Passing of a Kurdish Icon – Ahmad Hardi, Oct.29, 2006.
- Ahmad Hardi, International Journal of Kurdish Studies, January 2005.
- About Choman Hardi, Kathleen McDermot.
- When the secret of lips and the secret of eyes unite, A poem by Ahmad Hardi, translated by Dr. Kamal Mirawdeli.
- (http://www.ahmedhardi.com/ Ahmed Hardi)