Adler (Russian: А́длер) is a Russian resort at the Black Sea coast. Once it was a town, but now is the main settlement of Adlersky City District, Sochi, Krasnodar Krai. It is a major railway station of the North Caucasus railway and the terminus since Georgian-Abkhazian conflict broke the railway. Adler stays in the mouth of Mzymta.
The modern settlement was found by Russians in 1837 as Svyatoy Dukh fortress.
However, this area was inhabited long before the Russian arrival. Since the ancient times a Sadz Abkhazian village, named Liesh, was placed there. In the 12th century Genoese found a factory, known as Layso in the area. That time this lands belonged to Sadz princes Aredba, who had a good station there. Turks call this place Artlar or Artı. Russians mispronounced it as Adler (German: Adler means eagle). However, another theory postulate, that the name comes from brig Adler.
There are Adlersky District History Museum and The South Cultures park there.
Adler is one of the most popular Russian resorts. It has pebbly and narrow beach, backed by railway in some places.